Thursday, March 16, 2017

I thought everyone was doing patient care but no it's also about recording stuff such as contacting the legal team to ask about the way forward. Why on earth would the folks at facilities and hospitals get advice from their legal teams? Well in the case of my sister at the Grey Nuns Hospital--they were trying to get the control of her via the Public Guardian. It's pretty neat how they tried to do this and how they did it not for her but for expediting eviction from the Grey Nuns Hospital to the SL4 site. You won't believe the stuff that the teams and AHS /Covenant Health do until you read the medical records. The legal team no doubt has their notes about the advice given to the staff but for some odd reason this advice isn't to be found in the medical records. Meanwhile we had contact with the ethics person at the Grey Nuns Hospital and he was a nice person but not helpful. I guess when the Health Minister is all for the eviction using the Hospital Act the ethicist can't say -"Whoa Nellie--let's step back here and see what this downgrade is all about" --and so she got dumped out without any sort of interest by Sarah Hoffman or Ms. Notley who ignored the situation. In the case of the UAH legal advice, I don't have the advice they gave to the doctors who were looking for advice for the way forward. I never understand why government is always interested in the way forward when government doesn't want to have to look at problems but instead wants to ignore them. But there you go. In any case, I spent most of today in the University of Alberta Hospital looking at the problems faced by the medical team of how to get us to declare my sister incompetent, how to enact the personal directive so that I could take over decision making, how to do the cognitive assessments behind our backs so that they could declare her incompetent by themselves, how they simply wanted to move the family forward --all the while ignoring my concerns about the care--by simply telling me that I was asking for too much and that the dream of supports and services was delusional.

I have spent all of today doing the lawsuit prep. I have been mostly stuck in the UAH hospital stay in 2014. It's interesting to go into the past and find out the surface of the experience is completely different than what was going on behind the scene.
I guess the folks at AHS have to control the people.
I have piles of information on the floor. I will organise the piles tomorrow. I think I will become a detective after I finish the lawsuit. I will review medical files for the families who come to the Elder Advocates of Alberta Working Group and I will provide advice.
My first piece of advice will be to watch what you say to the government and public bodies. Did you know that they write down stuff about families? I mean odd stuff. They write down when we visit and when we leave. They write down our telephone calls. They write down the things we bring. It's monotonous reading about the things that are recorded.
I thought everyone was doing patient care but no it's also about recording stuff such as contacting the legal team to ask about the way forward. Why on earth would the folks at facilities and hospitals get advice from their legal teams?
Well in the case of my sister at the Grey Nuns Hospital--they were trying to get the control of her via the Public Guardian. It's pretty neat how they tried to do this and how they did it not for her but for expediting eviction from the Grey Nuns Hospital to the SL4 site. You won't believe the stuff that the teams and AHS /Covenant Health do until you read the medical records. The legal team no doubt has their notes about the advice given to the staff but for some odd reason this advice isn't to be found in the medical records. Meanwhile we had contact with the ethics person at the Grey Nuns Hospital and he was a nice person but not helpful. I guess when the Health Minister is all for the eviction using the Hospital Act the ethicist can't say -"Whoa Nellie--let's step back here and see what this downgrade is all about" --and so she got dumped out without any sort of interest by Sarah Hoffman or Ms. Notley who ignored the situation.
In the case of the UAH legal advice, I don't have the advice they gave to the doctors who were looking for advice for the way forward.
I never understand why government is always interested in the way forward when government doesn't want to have to look at problems but instead wants to ignore them. But there you go.
In any case, I spent most of today in the University of Alberta Hospital looking at the problems faced by the medical team of how to get us to declare my sister incompetent, how to enact the personal directive so that I could take over decision making, how to do the cognitive assessments behind our backs so that they could declare her incompetent by themselves, how they simply wanted to move the family forward --all the while ignoring my concerns about the care--by simply telling me that I was asking for too much and that the dream of supports and services was delusional.
I don't know. The system is so political. I'd say families have to take it all down and build it up again. I'd say we hire the Wildrose Party in the next election so that we can begin the transformation of a stagnant government and the pruning of entrenched bureaucrats and executive staff who need to be replaced before change is even a twinkle in the eye of every citizen.
I'd say change will come when mummies join together and speak. We can't do it as individual families but if we join up -family by family as we did in the last provincial election-change will happen because we aren't staying silent anymore about abuse, harm and fatality in continuing care. We are speaking for our beloved family members. We are saying what we witness in the system and what has to be told because these are the stories of those without a voice in our society.
We are speaking for the most defenceless citizens who cannot get the help they need until the media takes our stories and puts them on the front pages of newspapers. Then only will the helpless people in the continuing care system get the care and help they need.
I love this picture that I stole from Leah McRorie ---#LeahMcRorieRocks

LikeShow more reactions
Comment


I have learned a lot since the lawsuit began.
This is what I have learned so far (just in case you get sued by the Good Samaritan Society)
1) They send you a cease and desist letter with a small amount of money required and admission of guilt to get you off the hook. You should get a lawyer at this point.
2) Then they send you a letter saying that you are being sued.
You get a ton of stuff on this statement of claim.
3) You have to write a statement of defence saying why you yapped.
4) Then you have to go to discovery.
I found out discovery is where we give all our information and the Good Samaritan Society does not give us the audit information that I want.
Discovery requires you have a ton of information which luckily I have.
I don't have all the information because doctors have yet to give me the medical files but there you go. Also as I mentioned before Alberta Health has not given me the 2014 Health Quality Review and AHS has not given me their 2014 Quality Review or the information on how many residents were moved out after assessments of all residents at the Good Samaritan Extended Care at Millwoods.
I also don't have the Independent Consultant's Respiratory Review from 2014 that the Good Samaritan Society commissioned and told me that they would give to me but then they changed their mind.
I don't have the entire investigation for the two Protection for Persons in Care abuse investigations because the folks at the PPIC office redacted most of the investigation.
So discovery is mostly a bust and I don't really know how to get the information I need. I will leave this problem to Mr. Garber as he is a good lawyer and will figure out a way.
5) After you do the information transfer (affidavit) then you wait until the other party decides to go to the next step. Sometimes of course this happens fast and sometimes things go slow. You get used to the up and down ride of a lawsuit. I think of the lawsuit like the way graduate school was like --bursts of work and then hiking in the mountains.
6) So where am I now? I asked for a statement of particulars. I am at this step now.
7) Then we have questioning where they grill me and Mr. Garber gets to ask questions and ask for stuff.
8) Then we go to court and I talk about all the stuff I have found out in the medical records. It is very educational. When I am done you will all know how to defend yourself in a lawsuit.
9) If at all possible don't wait for the continuing care provider to sue you but instead sue the provider because this in most cases will avoid the problems of finding out about abuse and yapping about it in public.
10) I didn't sue anyone because I was more interested in changing the world like Ruth Adria. It's always best I think to let other people sue you --if they must---so that the truth comes out.
Rodney Crowell - "It Ain't Over Yet (feat. Rosanne Cash & John Paul White)" [Official Video]

LikeShow more reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment