Monday, March 13, 2017

About time Alberta protected the disabled with a Henson Trust

Attention PwD, allies & family members: Good News! 👇🏻
March 10, 2017
Hello,
I am reaching out to you as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Calgary-Currie, because I will have the opportunity to present a Private Members bill this spring at the Legislature. I would like to talk to you about the possibility of introducing the Henson Trust here in Alberta.
Originally established in Ontario in the 1980s, the Henson Trust ensures that persons with disabilities, who inherit assets like a family home, cannot have their government benefits terminated. Alberta is the only province in Canada that does not protect persons with disabilities from losing their disability benefits should they inherit assets.
When I was first elected, the very first constituent who came to my office was a father with a son who is disabled. He came to me to tell me how the proposed PDD Safety regulations were giving his family a huge headache because of the costs they would incur in their bungalow to install sprinklers. I reached out to various organizations in my riding and got acquainted quickly with some of the issues those in the disability community face.
I organized small meetings in my office and I attended the PDD safety consultation in Calgary last winter. I have been working closely with the Ministry of Community and Social Services on various issues my constituents encounter and now, it is my goal to begin a small consultation process in Edmonton and in Calgary on the viability of introducing the Henson Trust in Alberta.
As a first step, I would like to hear from self-advocates and from as many disability advocates and organizations as possible in the province. To start, I have booked two meetings that I hope you can attend so that myself and my staff can have a meaningful discussion and learn from you.
The 2 dates are:
Calgary
Alexander Calhoun Library:
3223 14 Street Southwest, Calgary, AB T2T 3V8
Thursday, March 30th from 2:00pm – 4pm.
Edmonton
Federal Building:
9820 107 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 1E7
Wednesday, April 5, 2017 from 10:00am – 2pm.
Additional dates and locations can be added as needed.
Please let me know if you are able to attend any of these meetings with the names of the attendees, any special requirements or requests, and the names and contacts of any other people you might suggest we send an invitation to.
Calgary.currie@assembly.ab.ca
403-246-4794
I look forward to having this discussion and meeting with you.
Warmest Regards,
Brian Malkinson, MLA for Calgary-Currie
Like
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment